Friday, April 17, 2015

Lesson 9: History and Genealoy

Ancestry Library, Heritage Quest and Sanborn Maps
First, I searched my mother's maiden name, location and my search was negative. With added info I had 12,00 hits. Under Ancestry you find categories: Search; Message Board;Learning Center;Charts and Forms; and New Collections. Each of the categories is fasinating to explore. It was interesting to check the Census Forms (can be downloaded): US,UK, & Canada. Watch a video: The World Memory Project. A fasinating project.-  I have used the Ancestry site before for a patron, hower, this site expanded and more user friendly.
In Heritage Quest, there are over 28,000 family and local histories in their online historical books. Browse the publications and search for one of your family members history.I never used the Heritage Quest before and not familiar with the navigation. There so many publication; it's overwhelming and timely to find what you are looking for. Our staff and I will visit this site later to explore more.








1 comment:

  1. Interesting searching in Ancestry--as you noted, different search strategies will really impact the results! There is a lot of resources in Ancestry. You and your staff will enjoy exploring the site!

    Thanks for your post,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete